Gilberd School Teachers and Students Stranded in France in 1968

Over the last few weeks I've had the good fortune to be able to look back through the Gazette archive of newspaper cuttings about the Gilberd. These cuttings go all the way back to the 1960s and most are interesting, but unremarkable. There was one article though that stood out above all the others.

I'd suggest just reading the original report which was published on the 3rd May 1968. It's about a Gilberd School holiday to France where just about everything went wrong. Another past pupil who recently read the report summed it up perfectly for me when she said 'every paragraph is both shocking and hilarious'.

My thanks to Matt Plumber for allowing me to look through the archive and for featuring this piece in the Gazette today. You can read the online edition here.

The Gazette used the photo above with this article and Eddie has identified the woman walking down the drive as Mrs Hockney who taught History and Geography.

Comments

  1. I knew who she was but couldn't remember her name. She taught me Geography. The person in the background was also a teacher I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wendy Rowlingson....taught me French, liked her a lot in a teenage boy sort of way.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts