Welcome!


"I taught at the Gilberd at North Hill from 1966 till 1985. These were very happy years and I feel lucky and privileged to have met so many wonderful people there – pupils and teachers. I always felt that the activities outside the classroom were very valuable, enabling the teachers to get to know the pupils better in a relaxed environment. 

These pictures of trips abroad and at home, as well as of the Christmas party for homeless children, have brought back many happy memories for me and will, I hope, do the same for former pupils." - Eddie Ross, April 2021.

If you went to the Gilberd School in Colchester between the mid 60s and the late 80s you would have known, liked and respected Eddie Ross. 

Eddie taught French and German in the long since demolished language huts next to the Upper School playground and he took a keen interest in the wellbeing of students at the school. He has only recently stopped teaching at the Sixth Form College (which is based at the North Hill site of the old Gilberd School) and he was still providing pastoral support to students at the college right up until the pandemic hit at the start of 2020. He continues to teach online on a 1-1 basis.

During his time at the school Eddie organised a number of school trips and he took a lot of photos. He has been kind enough to allow these photos to be scanned and the purpose of this website is to make these images available to past pupils and teachers. Please do share links to the site on social media so that past pupils out there can more easily discover these wonderful old photos.

You can download a copy of Eddie's book 'The Gilberd North Hill' here and if you want to drop Eddie a line you can do so by emailing us at eddiesphotos@icloud.com and we'll forward your message on to him. 

Finally, if you have any photos from your Gilberd School days please don't hesitate to get in touch and we'll share them with other visitors to this site. We are always happy to scan any images that don't exist digitally, so don't be put off if you only have prints or negatives. 

We hope this website brings back lots of good memories.

Comments

  1. Wonderful to have news of Eddie Ross, a kind and generous man and an amazing teacher, who was my inspiration for studying German at university. Amazed to hear that he is still teaching online. I went on to teach German and English and recently retired, am living in Germany and also doing some online teaching for refugees. Please send Eddie my very best wishes. Vanessa Behrendt née Ranger (Gilberd 1966-71)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for posting Vanessa. I have passed your kind comments on to Eddie today.

      Delete
  2. It was lovely to see the photos - they brought back some great memories. Thanks very much to Eddie Ross - a great teacher and to Matt Plummer for printing the photos in the gazette. Best wishes to everyone who was in 1G . Karoline Neilson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much getting in touch Karoline and for your very nice feedback.

      Delete
  3. Mr Ross was a wonderful teacher, a wonderful man and a Gilberd legend. He taught me so much that he didn't even realise. I occasionally bump into Jim McMillan at cricket matches and was delighted to hear Mr Ross was alive and well. Please send him my best wishes and heartfelt thanks. I would have definitely attended the reunion had I known so please add me to the mailing list/database for any future events. Kind regards. David Lilley (pupil 1974-80)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was at the Gilberd as a visiting student from the US in 1975-76 and took German (4th form) from Mr. Ross. It was a year of new experiences, and I have many fond memories. Hello to Mr. Ross and glad to hear you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just watched the film on YouTube - wonderful! Thank you SOOO much, Eddie, Jonathan and Richard, for making this possible. That old building has popped into my dreams so many times over the years - just great to see it again, and to hear the amazing stories with the pupil/staff divide well and truly gone ;-) Great stories, Eddie - thank you. I echo all the great comments about you as a caring and extremely competent and inspiring teacher. I was just quoting to a friend the other day one thing you said that has stayed with me: once you've really understood a point of (German) grammar, you won't make the mistake again. I've found that true in many other applications as well. Many thanks from Shirley (née Buik).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to see much of the school I attended from 1959 to 1966 still exists. Many of the teachers mentioned were there in my time and Eddie's comments brought back memories of some great characters whom have certainly influenced me.
    Paul Hailey

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just a quick hello to you Eddie from a former pupil Danny Gentry(1967-70)I have 2 grandchildren at the Gilberd highwoods and more to follow .You can contact me at dannyandbente@gmail.com I'm living in Denmark now and go to Germany quite ofte so use German and Danish language

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts