Take A Virtual Tour of the Gilberd with Mr Ross


When we launched this site earlier in the year Eddie and I were delighted to hear from so many past pupils from all corners of the globe. With so much affection for the school out there it set us thinking about whether we could create some content that would enable anyone to re-visit the Gilberd on North Hill, no matter where they were in the world. This film is the product of that ambition.

We decided to create a virtual tour and we were delighted to be joined in this endeavour by another former student, Richard Parker. We filmed at the Sixth Form College after school for a couple of days in July towards the very end of term. Richard and I took turns filming and you'll hear our contributions to the conversation from behind and in front of the camera. But of course it's Eddie who is the star of this show. His stories and recollections of people and events are undimmed by the passage of time and he brings the old school to life in a way that no-one else could. His warm and funny reminiscences also frequently left us both helpless with laughter. 

Eddie saw the finished film for the first time this week and I'm so pleased we are now able to share this with everyone. We filmed in a very informal way and I hope the style we've used will help the viewer really feel as though they are walking with us on the tour. 

So, wherever you are, make yourself a cup of tea or pour yourself a glass of something stronger, switch off the phone, pull up a chair and join us for an hour as we take a trip back to the Old Gilberd. The tour is about to begin...


Update 10th October 2021:
I'm very grateful to Paul Ballard for getting in touch and providing information about Captain John Bawtree Hawkins, to whom the plaque outside the old staff room is dedicated.

Comments

  1. Thanks to everyone who went to the trouble of making this video......I thoroughly enjoyed every minute! I undertook my own 'solo tour' about five years ago which rekindled long forgotten memories. It's about time I did so again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely way to spend an hour, thank you all so much. I was a pupil between 1970 and 75 and have many happy memories. I doubt Mr Ross will remember me however I remember him very well and use my German language skills almost every day. Most people I speak to when I'm in Austria think I come from North Germany, so he did a good job. Alison Chaplin (Brook)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent A most enjoyable trip down memory lane.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This video has brought back some wonderful memories of my time at the Gilberd 1970 to 1976. It was lovely to hear more about the wonderful teachers. Mr Macelevey, Mr Denham and Mr Baden Powell especially memorable. Mr Ross was and still is a legend. I remember the Xmas party for underprivileged children. He also told my Mum I would teach.. Mr Ross you were so right. My best wishes to you. Karen Leonard (nee Steward)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Mr Ross for this excursion down memory lane! My memories of German lessons are still fond, and I am 66 now. John Dutton.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts