A Bit of Ancient School History

I found a very old newspaper clipping in the Gilberd school archive, which I think will appeal to those with an interest in local history. The item was published on the 18th October 1959 and it shows the building that originally stood where the woodwork and metalwork shops would eventually be situated.

I'd never seen a photo of this building before and I suspect very few visitors to the site will have been at the school while it was still standing. The caption suggests the building was originally a bay and say weavers' workshop and afterwards it was probably utilised by the school for multiple purposes. 

The headline highlights that another piece of Colchester's past was disappearing. I'm sharing the article here so that this little piece of school history won't be entirely forgotten. 

If you click on the photo you can view a higher quality image.



Comments

Popular Posts