Gilberd Memories

I'm extremely grateful to Angela Hammond and Lis McLean for getting in touch at the end of last year to share their Gilberd School memories and photos. Angela's photos date back to the late 50s and early 60s, while the ones Lis took are from the late 70s to the mid 80s.

Angela wrote: 

Hello Eddie, 

I enjoyed your film tour of the old Gilberd site, which I shared with my two children who knew it as the 6th Form College. Such an important and well loved building for us all. I was a pupil from 1959 - 1965. 

Looking back, the streaming was quite rigid. I was in stream D, where girls seemed to be trained for futures as secretaries, nurses or housewives. Cookery, Needlework, and Typing were obligatory. My request to be allowed to do Woodwork was rejected.  I recall having a chat with Miss Twyman about the possibility of teacher training. She was not optimistic, and suggested perhaps trying Clacton Teacher Training College. I had better ideas and ended up at Brighton College of Education, where I had a great time. 

I attach a couple of photos dating from the early 60s.

From the left standing: Trudy, Annette and myself being held

I'm on the right of our form teacher, Mrs Hockney

Lis McLean was kind enough to send me a few bits and pieces of Gilberd memorabilia, including these photos and the previously published issue one of 'Start!'. 

Her first photo is from the late 70s/early 80s and was taken on a Latin trip to Fishbourne. The photo features Sylvie King, Michelle Plumb, Louise Doyle, Lis McLean and Gilda Heslop.


The last two photos were both taken at the Danbury Camp in 1984:


The above photo features Sylvie King and Louise Doyle.

My thanks to Angela and Lis for getting in touch. If you have any photos or memories you'd like to share from your time at the school please do drop us a line at eddiesphotos@icloud.com 




Comments

Popular Posts